You can contact me via email at: evan dot smith at flinders dot edu dot au (or hatfulofhistory at gmail dot com)
You can find me on twitter at @evanishistory.
The Hatful of History FB page is here: https://www.facebook.com/Hatfulofhistory
I am available for media interviews and anyone else who seeks my opinion on things. My main areas of expertise are:
- British politics (particularly the far left and the far right)
- UK immigration and multicultural issues
- Contemporary British and Australian history
- Social and protest movements
- Popular youth culture and its history
- The history of national security in the British Empire/Commonwealth
- Australian criminal justice history
I have written opinion pieces for several news and current affairs sites, including:
- The UK and the Whitlam Dismissal for The Conversation (Australia)
- UK border control and national security for New Matilda
- Thatcherism and Rik Mayall for The Conversation (UK)
- Student protest in Australian history for The Conversation (Australia)
- British Maoism and cult-like politics for The Conversation (UK)
- UK border control and racial discrimination for The Conversation (UK)
- UK border control and national security for InDaily
- The history of the far right in Australia for The Guardian
- No platform and the Office of Students for Times Higher Education
- Brexit and policing the Irish border for History & Policy
- Brexit and imperial nostalgia for History & Policy
- Anti-communism in the Liberal Party for Eureka Street
My research with Marinella Marmo on the ‘virginity testing’ controversy was featured in many newspapers across the globe after The Guardian (here, here and here) ran a story on our article in Gender & History, which saw follow-up reports in The Independent (UK), The Daily Telegraph (UK), The New York Times, The Times of India and The Huffington Post amongst others, as well as an interview with me on BBC Radio’s Today programme.
I was also interviewed by Phillip Adams about the British Maoist ‘slavery’ case for Radio National’s Lat Night Live in late 2013.
So don’t hesitate to get in touch!